.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, January 10, 2005

Is Big sister a feminist?

It seems that the question on most people's lips is 'what is Germaine Greer doing in the Big Brother house?' OK, that may be an exaggeration but it is certainly a talking point amongst the chattering classes, many of whom had idolised her for her intellect and her achievements as a feminist.

Apparently, her lecture on 16th Century poetry at the Hay Festival a few years ago is legendary as are, of course, her many written works, particularly 'The Female Eunuch'. I cannot say that I have read any of her books but I did go to one of her question and answer sessions at the Dylan Thomas Centre in Swansea a couple of years ago.

I was impressed by her passion and her grasp of issues. Here was a campaigner who is prepared to put herself on the frontline to change the World for the better, not least in the way she used her fame to get access to the top executives of Nestlé. The other thing that struck me however, was her sense of mischief and her apparent willingness to confound expectations of her either to make a point or just for the sake of it. She is not a person who is comfortable on pedestals and anybody who puts her on one is, in my view, seriously misjudging her.

In that sense I am not surprised at all that she is in the Big Brother house. She is providing a much-needed counterpoint to people like John McCririck and contributing positively to some very watchable television. I hope that she wins it.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?