.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, December 10, 2004

Democracy Day

I spent this morning in a local Comprehensive School assisting them with their Democracy Day. This turned out to involve taking three classes of 15 year olds for about 55 minutes each. Filling this much time is not easy so I took along a role-playing educational pack devised by members of the Bridgend Liberal Democrats centred on the 1906 General Election. The idea is to generate discussion about the importance of voting in the light of the limited electorate at that time. Everybody is given a character and then we tell them whether they are eligible to vote or not. Normally, the session then turns into a discussion about the suffragettes and the voting age.

After taking my three classes I was exhausted. I have a huge amount of respect for those people who teach as a profession. I do not think I could do it.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?