.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, September 29, 2004

A line is drawn

The following statement has now been issued by Lembit Opik:

HUNT SUPPORTERS HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO PROTEST BUT THEIR ANGER MUST NEVER TURN TO VIOLENCE - ÖPIK

Commenting on recent concerns raised by Peter Black AM about pro-hunting protests turning violent, Lembit Öpik, MP for Montgomeryshire and Leader of the Welsh Democrats, said:

"Given the Government's decision to push through this unjust piece of legislation I can well understand the sense of anger amongst the hunting community. In my view their freedoms and livelihoods are on the line.

Recent events have, however, raised the spectre of protests turning to violence. I would like to make it absolutely clear that violence has no place within our society. I have consistently argued that the best way to resolve the hunting debate is to use reasoned argument to find a solution that delivers the best outcome both in terms of animal welfare and the protection of individual freedoms. Violence cannot possibly help to deliver a lasting solution."

Peter Black was right to highlight the importance of elected politicians not supporting violence, as he did earlier this week. I hope I have made my position absolutely clear.

ENDS…

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?